Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Cleaning House---Part 2!

"God intends something gloriously grand here and is making the decisions that will bring it about." John 8:5b, The Message

Few things in life have been more dreaded for me than this past weekend's cleaning out of my childhood home. For weeks, I've had knots in my stomach as I would think about going through that special place for what would likely be the last time. I knew that my brother and sisters and I would work well together, because we always do. I knew, too, that we would find moments of fun and laughter in the middle of all the "yuck", because our parents taught us how to do that, too. And, because of so many words of encouragement, I knew we were all being prayed for and remembered by our wonderful friends.

What I did not know was that the last weekend there would turn out to be one of the sweetest and most precious times we've shared. You see, things didn't work out quite as we had planned...but sometimes, that is when God brings His best surprises!

We were all under the impression that a gentleman my dad knows was going to take everything left in the house and auction or dispose of it for us, and that we were simply going to have to go clean the house. Instead, on Friday morning, we found out that the man had too many estates to deal with at once, and that he didn't have room for my parents things. In a scramble, my sisters decided to have a moving sale on Saturday. Yikes! With only one day to prepare and no publicity except a few signs and some Facebook posts, we really didn't know what to expect. We were praying for at least a few folks to show up.

After working late into the night on Friday, we awoke early Saturday to a deluge of rain. We had made it clear on the posters that we would have the moving sale rain or shine, but would people even come out on a day like that?

By 8:00 a.m., the house was swarming with people! We couldn't believe it! The Pickens Flea Market had been flooded by the rain, so all the shoppers and some of the dealers came our way. On top of that, we had folks come by simply to see what was going on with our parents, or to see how all of us were doing. Since my dad had owned a hardware store on Main Street for decades, and since my mom had taught at the high school for over 20 years, there were well-known and much-loved.

In addition to selling almost everything in the house, we were blessed with story after story about how special our parents have been to the people they have known along the way. We heard stories of my dad's kindness to people at his store, of his fun-loving nature, of his knack for always having the right gardening tips, and of being able to pick out just the right fishing lure. We heard about his belief in people when they were down on their luck, and his encouragement to them to keep their faith and do the right thing. We heard stories of my mom's love for her students, of her willingness to go the extra mile for them, her great meals for those in need,and of her wonderful Bible teaching at the church. Many of the people who came through were delighted to learn where my parents are now, so that they would be able to go and visit.

Rather than being filled with tears, the day was filled with laughter, fond memories, and the living legacy of faith of Jean and Tony Farry. They may not live in that home anymore, but their love for God and His people lives on in all of their children and in the many lives they have touched through the years.

At the end of the day, we were able to give my parents not only a little extra cash from all the things that were sold, but we were able to give them the gift that really mattered: knowing that they are not forgotten and that their lives continue to be used by God to bless others.

No comments:

Post a Comment