Friday, February 27, 2009

Sewing Machine Leg!

I just went back to Body & Soul this morning for the first time in several months. FINALLY, my leg has healed enough from my muscle rupture that I am able to exercise again. After years of teaching fitness classes, I expected to be able to jump right back in, but man-oh-man! I had a rude awakening this morning!

As we went through the class, everything was going fine until we got to the floor work, and particularly to the LEG work. I've learned enough about my leg muscles to know that what we were doing wouldn't harm me, and that it would ultimately bring me strength. It just felt so DIFFERENT this time, since it had been months since I'd done anything like this. As we continued to work our legs, my right leg turned into Elvis Presley! I was shaking, jiggling, and wiggling in ways I didn't know were possible! Yep, I had the infamous "sewing machine leg", where my leg couldn't hold any pressure at all without bobbing up and down. I'm sure that my fellow strength-trainers got a great laugh!

Isn't it amazing how a relatively short period of inactivity can lead to such weakness? And isn't that true not only of our physical bodies, but of our spiritual state, too? Just a few days without focused bible study can leave me feeling weak & vulnerable. Going without concentrated prayer time leaves me wondering about my decisions and "bobbing up and down" with my thoughts. Time away from corporate worship can make my foundation seem weak and shaky.

It won't be long until my leg is back at 100%, and I'm looking forward to the journey back to full health. Isn't it wonderful that God has created us to be able to regain strength--both physical and spiritual--no matter how much we've lost? Most of all, I pray that I will always work my SPIRITUAL muscles to become a more fine-tuned, strong, and able follower of Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment